Friday, April 18, 2008

BACK TO SCHOOL

April 16th - Today David and I went back to school. I swore I'd never go back to school after I graduated from Grad school but life has a funny way of allowing you to do things you thought you wouldn't. Today was our first day of birthing class. Before class we went by the nursery to see the babies. We saw a set of twins getting their first bath while the Father watched and took pictures. I almost lost it just thinking about David standing in that room watching his little girl's first bath.

Our class is one night a week for six weeks and then we have a graduation ceremony. I sure hope we pass. When I went to class I always sat in the front row because I felt you could pay more attention in the front row and everyone knows people who sit in the front row make A's. So when we arrived at class I wanted to sit in the front or second row but David was not interested in that so we ended up sitting in the back couple of rows, along with the rest of the class. Our class is small, only about 12 couples.

We learned some anatomy, breathing techniques, how to time contractions and how to pack a relaxation bag. What is a relaxation bag you ask....well it is a bag full of things to make one comfortable during labor, such as massage lotion, a soothing CD, etc. I could not help but wonder if those things really work. Like David is going to get out the massage lotion and start working my shoulders and I'm going to forget all the pains of labor. Somehow I don't see that working but what do I know, this is all new to me. We do have a homework assignment, which is to pack our own relaxation bag and bring it to class on the 3rd night. I didn’t think we would have homework in birthing class.

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

KBD,

The best part of our birthing class was that Stephane had to practice giving me a massage ! Just something for you to look forward to.

Of course once we had the c-section he wanted to know why I had forced him to go to those classes? Oh well.

Our arrival date is scheduled for June 24th!