Monday, June 8, 2009

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY

June 9th - Happy first birthday Avery. I really can't believe it has been a year since David and I met our wonderful daughter. My Mom and I have a tradition - every year on my birthday she tells me the story of my birth. I love to hear her tell it and I always listen so intently, as if I haven't heard it before. So, I will now start that tradition with Avery (can you tell I'm all about traditions) and your welcome to join us.

June 9th, 2008 David and I went to our regular OB appointment expecting our usual doctor visit and then lunch at Subway. Well I had been walking around for two weeks dilated to a 3 and 80% effaced with no pain. This day I was feeling good but my legs were a little weak.

We arrived at the hospital about 3:00 and my Mom arrived about 3:30. I was feeling great, no labor pains at all. My doctor came and broke my water at 4:00. That is when the fun began. I started to feel some contractions in my back and lower tummy. I asked for an epidural around 5:30 and got it at exactly 6:08. Talk about a strange feeling. It felt like my legs were asleep. I remember looking at the monitor and seeing strong contractions but only feeling a slight pain in my back. My Dad arrived around 6:30. The contractions started to slow down so I was given pitocin every 15 minutes to speed up the contractions. Finally at 10:00 they told me to start pushing. Again another strange feeling. I knew I was pushing because my face told me so but I couldn't feel a thing except a bunch of pressure. I only pushed 29 minutes because at 10:29 we all heard the first cries of Avery. What a rush of emotion. I was so proud of David and me for making it through labor without a hitch and I was so proud of this small bundle.


Avery Katherine Diamond
June 9, 2008 10:29 pm
6 pounds, 13 ounces and 19 inches

No comments: