Friday, August 1, 2008

IRONIC

August 1st: All parents will love and appreciate this story because I am sure they have been there at some point early in parenthood. Wednesday night I put Avery in her crib at 10:00. I must diverse because I am so proud of her. We are slowly starting a nighttime routine of bath, massage, feeding and bed. So far Avery has been sleeping in her crib for a week. I can't help beaming as I type. Anyway, I finished feeding her and put her in her crib at 10:00 and immediately went to bed since I am constantly exhausted. I woke up around 2:30 and was shocked to see the time. Avery usually doesn't sleep this long; she usually eats every 3 hours during the night. I laid there worried something was wrong. I finally went to her room to check on her. First, I felt her arm so see if she was cold, she was a little cold since her Daddy insists on the house being colder. Second, I put my finger under her nose to see if she was breathing and I couldn't really tell. Finally, I put my hand on her chest to feel if her heart was beating and I thought I felt it. I went back to bed and woke David up. I couldn't be worried by myself. I told him what I did and asked: "If she was dead would she be colder than usual"? Needless to say he then went and checked on her and said she was indeed breathing. He immediately went back to sleep but I was wide awake. Around 3:00 we heard her cries for food on the baby monitor. All I could do was laugh. Our baby finally sleeps 5 hours straight, which is my chance to catch up on sleep and I don't. How ironic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We who have kids have been there!!!Hope all is well!!!
Mary Beth

Anonymous said...

Kristin
I read this post yesterday and smiled to myself as I remember doing this often. I guess i "jinxed" myself b/c Luke fell asleep in the car on the way home yesterday around 5:30 and did not wake up until 6 this morning!!! I checked on him several times b/c it is not like my child to sleep that long at all. Love the picture of Avery smiling!