Tuesday, October 5, 2010

UPDATE

October 5th – Sorry I have not posted an update earlier but life is busy right now. As you have read David and I have been sleep deprived for almost two months because Avery likes to get out of bed and come visit us. We in turn have to get up and take her back to bed and stay with her until she falls asleep. WELL NO MORE! Months ago when I called my pediatrician to get help with the situation she recommended I read “Solve Your Child’s Sleep Problems” by Richard Ferber. Of course I was sleep deprived and didn’t have time to read so we just tried her suggestion of slowly removing ourselves from Avery’s room at night. A week or so ago I visited my local library and checked out the book.

IT HAS SAVED OUR LIFE.

Last Thursday we implemented Ferber’s suggestions on how to teach a toddler to stay in their room. If you follow his suggestions your child should go to sleep on their own and sooth themselves back to sleep within 3-7 nights. We installed a baby gate in her bedroom door so she can’t come get us at night and therefore learns to put herself back to sleep. The first night she cried bloody murder for about 3 minutes, I went and checked on her and she cried for another minute or two and that was it! The second night she cried for maybe a minute and since then she does not even cry when we leave and lock the gate. So of course you ask “Are you and David sleeping better?” We are beginning to. I can’t speak for David but I have been sleeping with one eye open just waiting for the crying to begin so I can start watching the clock and console her at the appropriate time intervals, but the crying never comes. Hopefully I will start sleeping through the night now!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yay!!!!! i have hated seeing your midnight tweets and can't imagine how horrible it is. I hope it continues to get better and you get more rest.