Monday, June 16, 2008

INTRODUCING....

We are waiting for the fun to begin.
Daddy and Avery's first picture together. I think it is love at first sight. What do you think.
Our first family picture!
Avery after her first bath. Daddy picked out her cute bow.


Avery Katherine Diamond. Monday (June 9th) started out as a normal day; little did we know that we would be holding our baby girl by that night. David and I went to work and met at the doctor for our normal Monday appointment. My doctor examined me and said I was progressing so there was no need to wait. We were going to have a baby today!! We immediately started calling our family and telling everyone the good news. We went home to drop off a car and get our things ready. I figured since our bags were packed and in the car I would take this moment to take a shower and shave my legs.

We arrived at the hospital about 3:00, my Mom arrived about 3:30 and Little Grandparents arrived around 3:45. I was feeling great, no labor pains at all. My doctor came and broke my water at 4:00. That is when the fun began. I started to feel some contractions in my back and lower tummy. I asked for an epidural around 5:30 and got it at exactly 6:08. Talk about strange. It felt like my legs were asleep. I remember looking at the monitor and seeing strong contractions but only feeling a slight pain in my back. My Dad arrived around 6:30. The contractions started to slow down so I was given pitocin every 15 minutes to speed up the contractions. Finally at 10:00 they told me to start pushing. Again another strange feeling. I knew I was pushing because my face told me so but I couldn't feel a thing except a bunch of pressure. I only pushed 29 minutes because at 10:29 we all heard the first cries of Avery. What a rush of emotion. I was so proud of David and me for making it through labor without a hitch and I was so proud of this small bundle.

Avery weighed 6 pounds and 13 3/4 ounces and was 19 inches long and had a head full of dark hair. I know I am biased but she has to be the prettiest baby I've ever seen.

They moved us to the 7th floor a couple of hours later. David and I got to watch them give Avery her first bath, which broke my heart because she started to cry because she was so cold. We decided to let her spend the night in the nursery so we could get some sleep and asked them to bring her in when she needed to be nursed. I think David and I got a total of 3 ½ hours of sleep that night.

This had to be one of the best days of my life. I dreaded labor for so long for nothing. It was not bad at all and as soon as I looked in her eyes I knew nothing but joy!!

1 comment:

saspivey said...

Wow!! She's beautiful! You guys look great; like seasoned parents. Enjoy your time with her!